Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Business With A Capital B

Ever look at your schedule at the beginning of the month and think "I don't have very many acting commitments" only to review your activities at the end of the month and think "I did all that?"? Happens to me a lot. And that is just things involving physical contact. By physical contact, I mean non-virtual and not that other thing.

Why does this phenomenon of opportunities popping up during the month occur? Because I attend to the business side of my career. Networking event? I attend and endeavor to do the network part. Opportunity to pick up some knowledge/skill through legitimate channels which will be an asset next time a role comes up? Taking it. Research projects to self-submit to? Daily, except Sundays.

In fact, I do not think I have had a single opportunity arise because I was tending to the show side. I suppose it might be possible to find a Project B that I was cast in because I worked on Project A. But how do you think I got to work on Project A?

Concentrating most of your effort on the business won't stifle your creativity. The business side is what allows the creativity to be created.

No comments: